Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Never ever ever cook popcorn with olive oil...idiot.

Well it has been a while since my last proper update on how things are going, what I am learning, etc.  A lot has been going on with me lately.  March definitely came in like a lion.

I kicked up my training for Broad Street completing my longest run ever.  I planned my three mile course and once I got to the 5K mark I made it my goal to run farther and faster than I had at my first 5K race.  I beat my old time by 2 minutes and went .1 miles more.  I know to some seasoned runners that may not seem like a big deal but I think it is and am very proud.  I am looking forward to pushing for 3.5, possibly 4, miles this weekend and I am hoping to do it outside weather permitting.  That treadmill is a total downer.  I started drinking protein shakes after my work outs to build lean muscle; incorporated in to chocolate milk isn't too bad.  Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones has been my strength training.  I recommend that video for any one who is looking for an awesome workout.  Less than two months until race day.  I'm really looking forward to making something I always thought impossible, possible.

On to cooking.

I made a salad!  Anyone who knows me knows half the time I was making this I was probably totally grossed out.  Salad has everything I hate into one dish: lettuce + condiments.  blegh.  Everyone thinks it's nuts when I say I have never eaten a salad.  Chef looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked him what I would combine with a sherry mustard vinaigrette.  Lettuce tastes like dirty water to me and if even a shred of it is in my food, I can taste it immediately.  Needless to say I didn't taste my product this go-round.  I did get an 8 out of 10, which for a first time salad maker, I'll take as a success.  I had a chance to redeem myself with my prior oil to acid ratio faux pas and made a perfectly balanced (but absolutely disgusting to me) sherry mustard vinaigrette.


My salad with cherry tomatoes, batonned red onions and snap peas with my sherry mustard vinaigrette (as seen in the background)


The following week we moved on to eggs of all sorts.  I made over easy, over medium (which I never knew existed,) an omelette and poached eggs.  I flipped my over medium sans spatula and sans mess.  I managed to poach my egg inside out somehow and on the second try I got it right.  It's all about timing and the motion of the water. Everything else falls into place.  Bff/roommate and her mom were treated to a poached egg breakfast over the weekend.


This poached egg actually looks kind of gross.  Yes, this was the properly cooked one.



Finals week is next week.  This went by in a blink of an eye.  Practicals are next week and written finals follow after that.  Before I know it, this will all be over.

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Raelynn sto provando ad inviarti miei commenti sul tuo bel sito

    ReplyDelete