Wednesday, March 17, 2010

end of the beginning part 1

So practical one was last night.  The best way to describe it would be a beginner's version of iron chef + 3 hours.  Chef folded a piece of paper that had six items written on it and everyone chose at random.  I think for the sheet I happened to take he decided to put the most complicated items.

I had to make the following:
- stewed vegetables (1 zucchini, 1 eggplant)
- 1 pound of pasta dough cut into fettucini
- hollandaise sauce
- tomato sauce
- french fries
- pureed soup

I started with the pasta since that would take the longest. Relieved I practiced over the weekend and spoke with chef about it the night prior, I made a well of flour on a sheet pan, whisked my eggs and combined everything.  It was my best work ever.  Not to toot my own horn but toot toot.  When my dough was finished I let it sit and started with my tomato sauce so I could serve it as a dish.  I rolled out the pasta and cut my fettucini and while waiting for everything to finish for that dish, I started my hollandaise.  After whisking the egg yolk and lemon water over a double boiler I started whisking in my butter and the sauce broke.  Start over.  Broke again.  Frustrated, I moved on to my french fries.  Sliced them and put in water so they wouldn't oxidize.  By then my sauce was finishing so I cooked my pasta and finished the dish.  Chef said I talk a big game about being Italian and how he calls it gravy and that this better be good.  "You're lucky."  Again toot toot.

Back to french fries.  I wanted to serve them with my hollandaise and that wasn't working out so the fries had to go it alone.  I blanched them in boiling water and moved them to the fryer.  Error # 1.  As soon as they hit the oil I knew I messed up.  They turned an odd shade of brown and were a bit soggy, however well seasoned.  Hey, I am trying to earn back my "toots" that I just lost.

Next dish:  Pureed soup.  I placed red peppers on the burner of the stove to get them nice and burnt.  Once covered in black I put them in a bowl and covered it with plastic wrap to loosen the skins.  Meanwhile I prepared my stock for the following two dishes.  I cut my zucchini and eggplant for my stewed vegetables and looked at the clock.  8:30.  I am two and a half hours in and starting to panic. Nerves were getting the best of me and I needed to relax.  Mise en place, make sure I had everything I needed and took a second to breath.

I salted my eggplant slices and started sautéing my zucchini.  While this was cooking I made my brown roux to add to the vegetables.  Rinsed my eggplant and added it with the zucchini.  Added my stock, simmered and added my roux.  A success.  The toots are coming back!

4 down, 2 more to go.  I sweated my mirepoix and assembled my spice sachet for my soup.  Meanwhile I removed the skins of my peppers and gave them a good rinse and rough chop.  Added the mirepoix to my stock with the peppers and brought it to a boil, then a simmer and added my sachet.  While that simmered it was time to conquer my earlier foe: hollandaise.

I went to the sinks to have a breather and get my thoughts in order.  I realized both times before I was too "eggy" and needed more water this time.  I collected my ingredients and moved to the stove.  Egg yolk and lemon water over the double boiler, I started whisking.  It didn't take long for sabayon stage to occur and so far it was looking good.  Relief.  Removed my mixture from the heat and started adding my butter.  It was holding.  Double relief.  I few minutes later I took my sauce up to chef and he tasted it.  Success ... finally!

By this time my soup was ready to be pureed. I grabbed the food mill and got to work.  To my pureed soup I added honey and some cayenne pepper.  Chef tasted it and made a face.  My heart fell into my stomach.  "What's in this?" he asked.  I told him and he said "good work.  Remember that for another time."  I was done.  Toot toot!!!!

The fastest, most stressful and fun four hours of my life.  Loved every second but so happy it is over.  Chef said writing "relax" on my paper possibly earned me an extra point.

One more practical to go and three written finals until spring break.  And sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment