Monday, February 1, 2010

"I hear ya. What else did your mother get you for Christmas?"

I need to start updating this more.  I'm starting to forget a lot of the things I want to write about since my days feel blended together.  

Anxiously awaiting my quiz results.  I am really hoping I did well; not even so much for my grades but just to get off on the right foot.  Also anxiously awaiting the scholarship results from the Food Network's contest.  $20K would really start my year off nicely.

So Friday we made chicken stock (aka white stock.)  Not too much exciting about that besides it's used in a lot of my favorite dishes.  Chef prepped us for our quiz and I tried to make a joke in class which totally backfired; I wanted to say "if you were an extra credit question..." and ended up saying "if you were an extra cwedit..." and burst out into laughter.  Then chef called me Elmer Fudd and continued on with the quiz review. Probably much funnier if you were there or know how socially awkward I am.

During clean-up my partner and I had to take the trash down to the dumpster and decided we would try and drive the freight elevator by ourselves for the first time.  Both of us had been in it before and always with someone else who was knowledgeable in its operation.  So we get in with our bag of chicken parts and other random trash, shut the doors, pull down the gate and head down.  All goes well until we reach the basement, pull up the gate and try to open the doors.  Yes, try.  The doors aren't budging and are only opening about an inch and a half.  So we look at each other, nervously giggle and try pulling them apart as hard as we can.  No luck.  We try to take it up to other floors to see if maybe it was just the basement.  No luck.  I figure eventually our class will notice we're not there and come and find us.  Wrong.  Then I thought, "well chef can be silly sometimes; maybe this is a joke."  So we drive it up to the floor of our class and open it up that inch and a half and start yelling for help.  No one is around.  I'm not sure if it was in my head or if it was my imagination since I am petrified of being trapped in an elevator but I would've bet money that thing was making noise and shaking.  My partner is playing it cool and I am taking my pulse because I was definitely in the midst of a panic attack.  I told him if there were a tarantula and Freddy Krugar in there with us it would officially be my worst nightmare. Finally someone walks by and gets chef.  Seconds later a bunch of our classmates are around the elevator saying "oohh someone's stuck?  Yeah, it's Raelynn.  Raelynn you're stuck in the elevator?"  to which I reply "I'm not alone" not for fear that they wouldn't know my partner was with me but for fear I my classmates would think I'm the idiot who got stuck in the elevator on my own.  I ask chef to tell my mother I love her and if we get hungry at least we have the chicken parts to survive on.  He tells us the maintenance man is on his way.  He shows up a few seconds later and instructs us to take the metal bar on the door of the elevator and push it up.  The door opens.  I thought "that's it?? You have to be freaking kidding me."  He rides with us down to the basement and says "this is your first quarter, isn't it?"  

I wonder how he knew.


No comments:

Post a Comment